LabMinds’ products provide a new experience for those using lab equipment. Our cloud-based platform enables access from anywhere in the world, the AI develops large formulations libraries, material consumption and performance audit trails provide confidence and traceability, and the automated system processes on-demand solutions to free up the time of our customers.
Summary of Position
The Vice President, Research & Development at Labminds will be responsible for executing on the Company’s overall technology vision, shaping its technical strategy, leading all engineering efforts and driving its development execution that will firmly place Labminds as the leader in providing cutting-edge automated buffer preparation solutions to the market. This person will recruit world-class talent, manage the appropriate development methodologies, and create the proper organizational structure to drive a high performing development team to deliver these solutions to the market with relentless execution. This person will keep abreast of and influence technology trends, standards, and stakeholders which will further enhance adoption and market share of Labmind’s solutions, and work in tandem with the other members of the executive team as well as the marketing team to further define our product roadmap and deliver against it. This person will have the ability to bridge technology with business acumen, will bring experience in developing industry leading products, and will develop and sustain a culture of passion, hard-work, and innovation that will make Labminds the place to be for anyone interested in developing next generation automation systems for buffer preparation.
The Vice President, Research & Development will lead all product development engineering efforts for the company. He/she will have responsibility for directing the mechanical design, electrical, hardware, software, and firmware development and deployment efforts to ensure effective development of new products and improvements to existing products. The VP of R&D will also be responsible for leading a team of engineers who will develop high quality innovative products while meeting project timelines. A key focus of the role is to provide strong technical and engineering leadership coupled with equally effective project management skills.
• Develop, direct and maintain a system to manage all product development programs and projects, including a rigorous review process, in order to ensure attainment of key milestones and adherence to product specifications, timelines and budgets.
• Lead the engineering teams to promote a high-performance, results-driven environment with a strict adherence to project management requirements.
• Support Marketing in developing a strong product pipeline and a portfolio of marketed products that are differentiated and provide competitive advantage for the company.
• Formulate and implement the long-term strategy with respect to new and emerging technologies that advance company objectives.
• Attract, develop and retain top talent for the R&D function, while motivating staff to continually improve its performance.
• Drive all R&D aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) to ensure Freedom to Operate, working with lawyers, designers/architects/scientists, as required, to write/submit patentable inventions.
• Manage university and other external research collaborations
• Work with Quality to ensure products are developed and validated in a manner that complies with global regulatory requirements
• Directly responsible for the establishing and managing the R&D/Engineering budget
• Ensure that the research and development organization provides technical assistance to other departments.
The VP of R&D will possess strong technical knowledge and vision and have a demonstrated history of leading engineering teams in the development of new lab automation systems, bringing these products to market on time and within budget.
• Bachelors in Engineering, Mechanical/Electrical or equivalent required.
• PhD in related field strongly preferred.
• Minimum of 15 years of experience in progressive engineering and product development leadership roles within global companies that develop, manufacture and sell complex automation robots to the lab.
• Integrated software and hardware system engineering and project management skills are required.
• Experience in setting and scaling the research and development function, with the proven ability to attract, inspire, motivate and retain top tier talent.
• Proven ability to establish, articulate and implement a concrete product development strategy that clearly aligns with corporate and commercial goals.
• Executive team experience preferred
• Track record of success working closely and collaboratively with marketing and product management teams.
• Experience with distributed teams and business partners.
• Experience developing, managing and executing detailed engineering plans
• Experience successfully managing hardware and software teams required.
Additional Position Details
- VP of R&D
- Full time
- Reporting to CEO
- Boston, MA
Submit your resume by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org